The undercard for Floyd Mayweather’s eagerly anticipated showdown with Conor McGregor on August 26 is beginning to take shape.
Mayweathers 22-year-old protégé Gervonta Davis looks set to fight Roman Martinez, while Britain's Savannah Marshall looks set to make her professional debut.
The main event is expected to become the first billion dollar fight in the history of sport, and so it was no surprise when every even remotely successful boxer and mixed martial artist began talking up their chances of featuring.
A number of ludicrous crossover bouts were quickly suggested – from a heavyweight bout between Anthony Joshua and Stipe Miocic, to a long-awaited fight between Roy Jones Jr and Anderson Silva – before Mayweather Promotions announced that the undercard will be comprised solely of boxing matches.
And with less than 20 days to go until Mayweather and McGregor clash at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, the list of fights is starting to come together – although there is yet to be an official announcement.
Mayweather’s young protégé Gervonta Davis is expected to feature, most likely against Roman Martinez.
22-year-old Davis, who also fought on the Mayweather vs Andre Berto undercard, boasts a flawless professional record of 18-0 (with 17 knockouts) and defeated Manchester’s Liam Walsh at the Copper Box Arena in his last fight.
The former WBO junior lightweight champion Román Martínez shouldn’t pose him too many problems, and is without a win in his last two fights after drawing with Orlando Salido and suffering a knockout at the hands of Ukraine’s Vasyl Lomachenko.
Davis however has his eye on the main event, after McGregor sneered at his height during a whistle-stop world tour to promote the fight.
“I could knock out Conor,” he told reporters recently. “He called me a ‘little b****’ and I just laughed at him, I was just happy to be there, at the press conference. It is kill or be killed.”
Like Davis, the Swedish super-middleweight Badou Jack is also part of the Mayweather Promotions stable and looks set to feature on the undercard.
The 33-year-old is keen to fight the WBA ‘regular’ champion Nathan Cleverly, after drawing with James DeGale in his previous fight, in January. However, late last month the WBA ordered Cleverly to defend his belt against interim WBA champion Dmitry Bivol, which could scupper the contest.
The American welterweight Shawn Porter is also likely to fight on August 26, perhaps as part of a two match preliminary card airing on Fox in the United States, prior to the main undercard.
One boxer that has been confirmed to feature on the bill is Great Britain’s Savannah Marshall who, like McGregor, will be making her professional boxing debut.
The former world amateur champion signed up with Mayweather’s fighting stable back in May, to become Mayweather Promotions’ second female boxer, after junior middleweight LaTondria Jones.
And Leonard Ellerbe, the CEO of the company, confirmed recently that Marshall will be fighting on the card.
“Speaking of Savannah, she doesn't know this so I'll break this, she will make her pro debut on that card,” Ellerbe told Sky Sports in June.
“That's breaking news. She doesn't know that and I haven't spoken to her about that, but that's the plan. She's going to make her pro debut on that card.
“We're really excited. She's a tremendous talent and we're very glad to welcome her into the Mayweather Promotions stable. She's an outstanding fighter, she's a very classy young lady, and we're very happy to be able to work with her.”